Wednesday 18 November 2020, 16:00–18:00 (UTC/GMT+1 or CET)
Languages: Simultaneous interpretation in English, French and Spanish
Blockchain is an emerging technology that enables to manage transactions in a highly secure manner, through a decentralized approach with a large number of independent participants. This breaks with the traditional centralized approach to data management.
While Blockchain application in the social sector is limited, it can be highly valuable in specific areas. The high level of security and the extreme distribution of data and software, are what make it so interesting.
Blockchain enables the development of large-scale health services that can involve doctors, medical services, pharmacies, health insurance, employers and individuals. Concretely, this can provide the basis for e-prescriptions and electronic medical certificates. Blockchain can also facilitate international data exchange, by securing encryption and traceability mechanisms, and avoiding the need for an intermediate coordinating body.
As Blockchain is still in the early stages in the social security area, the ISSA is carrying out pilot and assessment activities. In this context, ISSA members led the development of prototypes implementing traceability controls of international data exchange using Blockchain.
This webinar will introduce basic concepts and will present and discuss concrete experiences, opportunities and challenges for using Blockchain in social security.
- Soumaya Ben Dhaou, Research Coordinator, United Nations University
- Kristo Vaher, Chief Technology Officer, Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communications, Estonia
- Francisco Delgado Azuara, Director, Chief of Unit, IT Department, National Social Security Institute, Spain
- Gustavo Roque Villamil Pérez, IT Services Director, Social Insurance Bank, Uruguay
- Luis Arregui, Head, Development Centre of Crosscutting Services, Social Insurance Bank, Uruguay
- Angel Montero Sanchez, Industry Architect - Government, IBM Spain
- Daniel Olmo Chica, Account Executive, IBM Spain
- Bernado Fagalde, Senior IT Architect, IBM Uruguay
This webinar will examine the following questions:
- What are the key features of Blockchain and the criteria to use this technology?
- What are the lessons learned from Blockchain applications?
- What is the potential of Blockchain for social security institutions, and how can this technology support their activities?
- How can ISSA support institutions to take advantage of Blockchain?
- Welcome by Marcelo Abi-Ramia Caetano, ISSA Secretary General
- Technical introduction by Soumaya Ben Dhaou
- Case experience of Estonia
- Prototypes of Blockchain application for the traceability of international data exchange
- Panel discussion
Moderated by Raúl Ruggia-Frick, Head of Centre for Excellence Knowledge, ISSA
The webinar is open to delegates of ISSA member organisations and invited institutions without registration fees.