Wednesday, 24 February 2021, 10:00–11:30 (UTC/GMT+1 or CET)
Language: only English
In Asia, the percentage of the population aged 65+ is expected to increase by four-fold to reach 26 per cent in 2050 – with a commensurate increase in the need for long-term care (LTC). Typically, health systems are not prepared for this projected rise and most countries do not have a formal LTC system. Not long ago, some East Asian countries recognised the need and launched their first LTC programmes.
To be context-specific and people-centred, LTC programmes are sometimes designed as a pilot, and then modified during the implementation and scaling-up phases. Another way of programme design is national-wide and could be inspired by the experience from neighbouring countries. Either way, lessons learned from countries that have already embarked on LTC programmes are valuable.
This third webinar in the ISSA’s series on long-term care will focus on concrete experiences from East Asian countries. It will provide an overview on how the LTC needs are defined and envisaged, including the challenges faced and lessons learnt in the design of the national programmes.
Join us for the third ISSA Webinar on LTC, as part of the series of webinars on various aspects of this major challenge related to ISSA’s triennial topical priority on meeting the evolving needs of an ageing population.
|Sanghee Park, Head Researcher, Health Insurance Research Institute (HIRI), National Health Insurance Service, Republic of Korea|
|Hong Mi, Professor, Department of Social Security and Risk Management, School of Public Affairs, Zhejiang University, China|
|Yukun Zhu, Senior Technical Officer in Social Security, ISSA|
This webinar will examine the following questions:
- How are national LTC programmes developed and designed?
- What are the current challenges and the future directions for the LTC insurance systems?
- What are the lessons learnt from the LTC insurance programmes?
- How is COVID-19 pandemic influencing LTC insurance programme implementation, and what could be the way forward?
- Welcome by Marcelo Abi-Ramia Caetano, ISSA Secretary General
- Introduction to LTC
- Experience of LTC in the Republic of Korea: Policy challenges and lessons learned
- Background on China’s Pilot LTC Insurance
- Research on LTC Insurance in Qingdao, China
- Moderated discussion and Q&A
|Moderated by Dr Dalya Elziniy, Senior Technical Officer in Social Security, ISSA|
The webinar is open to delegates of ISSA member organizations and invited institutions without registration fee.