Tuesday, 18 May 2021, 10:00−11:30 (UTC/GMT+2 or CEST)
Language: English only
Webinar organised in collaboration with the ISSA Liaison Office for South East Asia
The investment and role of social security funds have been particularly important issues during the COVID-19 crisis. In the midst of a sharp fall in asset prices, a surge in benefit demand and drop in contribution income, asset-liability management approaches had to be adapted. While global stock markets have recovered, low or negative interest rates, currency fluctuations and generalized uncertainty regarding the development of the pandemic continue to disrupt investment policies and strategies.
In addition, the social purpose of social security funds during the crisis has attracted much attention. Ranging from the possibility to make emergency withdrawals, the provision of loans to participants at the micro level to large-scale investments to support the national economy and employment, the impact of the crisis has prompted social security funds to expand their social role. The long-term impact on benefits and sustainability of these measures still needs to be assessed.
In this context, the ISSA webinar will review short-term responses to the crisis by social security institutions in South East Asia, and discuss their longer-term implications on the role and investment of social security funds.
|Aurora Cruz Ignacio, President and Chief Executive Officer, Social Security System (SSS), the Philippines|
|Edwin Ridwan, Director of Investment, National Social Security Administering Body for Employment (BPJS Ketenagakerjaan), Indonesia|
|Chompoopen Sirithorn, Director of Investment Management Bureau, Social Security Office (SSO), Thailand|
The webinar will examine the following questions:
- How has the COVID-19 crisis affected social security funds’ investments and the related investment strategies, both in the short and the long-term?
- What role have social security funds played in meeting the economic and social needs stemming from the crisis?
- What are the main lessons learnt for investment management in terms of crisis preparedness and responses?
- What is the long-term impact of the crisis on social security funds in the region?
- Opening by Marcelo Abi-Ramia Caetano, ISSA Secretary General
- Technical introduction by the ISSA
- Country experience of SSS, Philippines
- Country experience of BPJS Ketenagakerjaan, Indonesia
- Country experience of SSO, Thailand
- Q&A – Discussion
|Moderated by Jens Schremmer, Head, Office of the Secretary General, ISSA|
The webinar is open to representatives of ISSA member institutions and invited participants without registration fee.