On 18 October 2019, Prof. Dr Joachim Breuer was re-elected for a second three-year term as President of the International Social Security Association (ISSA). His ambition is to further strengthen ISSA’s membership and international position.
The ISSA Council re-elected Prof. Dr Breuer as ISSA President during its 38th Session in Brussels, Belgium. The meeting followed a successful World Social Security Forum organized in the Belgian capital. Professor Breuer is renowned expert on social security and social insurance. Having served as Director General of the DGUV – German Social Accident Insurance – between 2002 and 2019, he is today their Ambassador for International Relations.
“I am honoured by the strong support from ISSA member institutions, and my ambition for this new period will be to further build and strengthen our Association. We aim for new members from new countries, and we want to be a leading voice for social security internationally”, said Professor Breuer after his re-election. The ISSA today counts more than 320 member institutions in over 150 countries.
The ISSA on the international stage
Prof. Dr Breuer was first elected ISSA President in 2016, and since then he has played a key role in strengthening the international presence and visibility of the Association. He has represented the ISSA in meetings and events in more than 30 countries, and he regularly represents the ISSA in the Meetings of G20 Labour and Employment Ministers.
In September, he took part in the G20 meeting in Matsuyama, Japan, focussing on “Shaping a Human-Centred Future of Work”. The meeting addressed issues such as: demographic change, gender equality and new forms of work. The G20 meetings provide unique opportunities to discuss with key international decision makers. In Matsuyama, Prof. Dr Breuer emphasised the need to involve social security administrations in the process of drafting legislation in areas such as coverage extension for platform workers to make sure efficient and workable solutions are found.
During the following 120th Bureau Meeting, the Bureau members re-elected Milka Mungunda, Executive Officer of the Social Security Commission (SSC) of Namibia, as Vice-President of the ISSA.
The ISSA Council also elected the following representatives to formal functions within the ISSA:
- Nikolay Kozlov, Pension Fund of the Russian Federation, re-elected as Treasurer
- Jean-Marc Vandenbergh, General Administrator, Auxiliary Unemployment Benefits Fund, Belgium, elected as Control Commission Titular Auditor, and designated as President of this Commission.
- Patricia Koizan Gbani, Social Insurance Institute - National Social Insurance Fund, Côte d'Ivoire, re-elected as Control Commission Titular Auditor
- Pawel Jaroszek, Social Insurance Institution (ZUS), Poland, re-elected as Control Commission Titular Auditor
- Fabian Pilzecker, German Federal Pension Insurance, elected as Control Commission Deputy Auditor