The ISSA technical commissions (TCs) play a central role in the Association. They are the backbone of its knowledge development and technical work. Organized along 13 clusters of topics, they allow ISSA members to focus their efforts in their particular area of interest.
The technical commissions each develop a work plan aligned with priorities of the ISSA Programme and Budget, which for 2020–2022 are:
- The future of social security administration and management
- Meeting the evolving needs of an ageing population
- Social security coverage in a changing world
- The role of social security in promoting inclusive growth and social cohesion
During the triennium, all technical commissions gather annually in Geneva for the ISSA Forum for Technical Commissions (TC Forum), to share ideas, plan their activities and compare notes. These annual meetings are usually held in June.
For the triennium 2020–2022:
- TC Forum 2020: Establish the work plan of each TC, share them with other TCs, and identify overlaps, gaps and opportunities for collaboration.
- TC Forum 2021: Review progress made in the implementation of the work plans.
- TC Forum 2022: Share and approve the final deliverables and prepare for the World Social Security Forum, taking place in Marrakesh, Morocco, later that year.
Technical commissions contribute to the development of the ISSA Guidelines, and have specific roles in ISSA events such as international conferences, technical seminars, Regional Social Security Forums and the World Social Security Forum.