Wednesday, 25 November 2020, 14:00–16:00 (UTC/GMT+1 or CET)
Languages: Simultaneous interpretation in English, French and Spanish
Population ageing is a key common challenge for countries around the world. How can countries cope with the resulting rapidly increasing need for long-term care (LTC)? How can an integrated approach be achieved in view of diverse health and social components? Furthermore, how should LTC be financed, provided and regulated?
In the complex and multi-sectoral field of LTC, there is unfortunately no one-size-fits-all solution. While there are significant differences in national approaches, access and adequacy challenges, quality issues and financial sustainability are high on the agenda everywhere. The need for new strategies and solutions to support policymakers and social security institutions in facing the LTC challenges is urgent, and even more so in the context of COVID-19.
Starting a series of ISSA Webinars on LTC, this first one will provide an overview of the challenges by presenting the research findings and strategies proposed by the most relevant international organizations. It will offer a unique occasion to learn about how they define the LTC challenges and develop innovative solutions to support countries in anticipating LTC needs.
Join us for this first ISSA Webinar on LTC, the start of a series of webinars on various aspects on this major challenge related to ISSA’s triennial topical priority on ageing societies.
|Fachmi Idris, Chair of the ISSA Technical Commission on Medical Care and Sickness Insurance and President Director, Social Security Administering Body for the Health Sector (BPJS Kesehatan), Indonesia|
|Veronika Wodsak, Social Protection Policy Specialist, Social Protection Department, International Labour Organization (ILO)|
|Zee-A Han, Medical Officer (Long-term care), Department of Maternal, Newborn, Child & Adolescent − Health & Ageing, World Health Organization (WHO)|
|José Carlos Ortega Regalado, Statistician, Health Division, Directorate for Employment, Labour and Social Affairs, Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)|
|Dana-Carmen Bachmann, Head of Unit, DG Employment, Social Affairs and Inclusion, European Commission (EC)|
This webinar will examine the following questions:
- What are the common challenges for long-term care globally?
- How are ILO, WHO, OECD and EC addressing the issues for LTC in the shorter and longer-term?
- How do international organizations view the role of social security in meeting the LTC challenge?
- How to coordinate efforts at international level to support the development of coordinated national LTC programmes?
- How is COVID19 influencing the challenges?
- Welcome by Marcelo Abi-Ramia Caetano, ISSA Secretary General
- Introduction by Fachmi Idris, Chair of the ISSA Technical Commission on Medical Care and Sickness Insurance
- The challenge of long-term care from a global perspective by ILO
- Decade of Healthy Ageing (2020−2030): Integrated continuum of long-term care by WHO
- The effectiveness of social protection for long-term care in old age (preliminary findings in the European Union (EU) and OECD countries) by OECD
- Long-term care in the EU by the EC
- Q&A – Panel discussion
Moderated by Nathalie De Wulf, Coordinator of the ISSA Technical Commission on Medical Care and Sickness Insurance
The webinar is open to delegates of ISSA member organizations and invited institutions without registration fees.